Monday, October 5, 2009

Thank you from Jeff's family

On behalf of Jeff's family I want to thank everyone who came to Mono Lake to celebrate his life. It was very meaningful for all of us, especially our parents, to see that Jeff had touched so many people. The stories that were shared, the music, the good food, and the companionship were exactly what we had hoped for, and I know Jeff would have enjoyed it as well. I only wish that I had been able to talk with each one of you directly, to hear some funny anecdote from one of his many adventures, or to learn again how his spirit of learning, giving, and having fun while doing everything made a difference to someone.

Thanks also to the folks in Davis who I had the pleasure to meet last Friday at N Street. More wonderful stories and memories to share. As I said at the celebration, he will be missed by many. But I know that the things that he worked so hard for will live on in everyone who knew him. For those who were unable to join us, below is the Hopi prayer that was printed on the back of the program. Every time I read it I know that his spirit lives on.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there
I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond's glint on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn's rain
When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there
I did not die

Peter Maurer & the Maurer Family

No comments:

Post a Comment