Monday, April 19, 2010

Memories of Jeff

Dear Jeff,

I am currently planning a climbing trip to the varnished Sand Stone walls of Red Rocks and it would be great if you could come along. I think that you of all people would appreciate the stark beauty of the high desert in spring time, with cactus blooms, birds singing, and the warm glow of sandstone.

I remember our first encounter at UC Davis in 'Bird Lab', where we were diligently trying to learn the details of these dusty, lifeless specimens that lay before us on the table. You seemed a bit perplexed as to why it was important to study these birds on popsicle sticks under flourescent lights. I definitely remember you because you seemed such an anomaly surrounded by the concrete institutional walls of UC Davis. Your hair was a bit more shaggy and your clothes a bit more thread-barren than your average student at UC Davis. It was also apparent that you had a keen intuition about nature. The 'concepts' of avian ecology that we so feverishly tried to cram into our heads, seemed like common knowledge to you, they were simply 'behaviors' of birds that you had noticed from a lifetime of observations.

Although you always appeared a bit out of place with your gangly frame and leathery complexion at UC Davis, you were definitely in your element among the trees and rocks of the Sierra Nevada. I was fortunate enough to climb with Jeff one day at Lover's Leap, just up the road from Placerville and it was a pleasure just to see how Jeff moved with Nature. We set out to climb the classic route 'The Line' and when we arrived at the base the thin crack leading up the first pitch, it looked a bit intimidating to me. Somehow I think that you sensed my hesitation and you offered to lead the first pitch. I can still remember you gliding over the rock barely scraping your belly with the agility of a lizard. You moved so fluidly and with great ease across the granite face. You demonstrated to me that climbing was more about technique and confidence than gear and bravado. Before I knew it we were at the top of Lover's Leap with our barefeet dangling below- it was glorious day in the Sierra. This is the lasting memory I have of you my friend.

I fondly remember the last meal we shared at Crepeville in Davis and you were the same old happy go lucky Jeff that I remembered. So as I plan my trip to Red Rocks I must admit that I felt some uneasiness when I learned of your passing. But alas, we cannot pass up on living only for fear of dying.

Your Friend,
Ashley Ballantyne

No comments:

Post a Comment