Thursday, September 3, 2009

From Amy 9/1/09

Back when Jeff and I first meet in 2001, I had been hired by the EC Gardens to clear the weeds from the back acreage so it could be tilled. I would use a weed whacker & a mower. Jeff would come every afternoon and help me. He would use a machete, because he didn't want to use the fossil fuels, and because working with power tools was unpleasant. That's how Jeff was - he would do the right thing and have more fun doing it. Afterward, we would sit in the shade and drink a few beers and laugh.

Jeff was a magical person. Spending time with Jeff was like being a Buddhist - with Jeff, you were always in the moment, and the moment was wonderful. A simple afternoon at a swimming hole would stretch into an eternity of late summer sunshine, watching the wind, and surprise stashes of chocolate. Jeff had a profound influence on me, and changed the image of the person I'm striving to become. I don't think he realized that. I've missed Jeff over the last few years, and it's crushing that he's gone now.

Amy Zents

No comments:

Post a Comment