Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Last weekend I attended Jeff Maurer’s memorial overlooking Mono Lake on the east side of the Sierra. 

I wondered why I felt so compelled to be there for a person I knew more as an acquaintance than a friend.  How could there be such a strong connection?  Clearly, any of the 200 people that were there could answer that question.  You only had to meet Jeff once to feel it.  His love for living was simply contagious. 

Though I knew Jeff climbed and we had even talked of doing some climbing together, I always thought of him as a conservationist.  When I heard that Jeff died climbing it was difficult to accept and understand.  But, not really.  The history of climbing and the protection of wild places are closely linked.

John Muir trekked the Sierra ascending many of its peaks and later David Brower made first ascents in Yosemite Valley and on Sierra peaks.  Margaret Farquer was the first president of the Sierra Nevada Section of the American Alpine Club.  And, more recently Yvon Chouinard, Doug Tomkins, Royal Robbins and Galen Rowell acted to protect our remaining wilderness heritage.

Climbing demands and develops focus, drive and determination. It imbues a love and deep understanding of our wild places.  It is precisely these attributes that have contributed to the success of the wilderness movement and that tradition continues.

Jeff was certainly a part of that and I love him for it. 

My deepest sympathies to his family and all of his friends.

Bob Schneider

No comments:

Post a Comment