Saturday, September 5, 2009

Jeff Maurer Memories

I met Jeff while working in Yosemite as a year-long employee. I remember us first meeting during a volleyball game and bonding over beekeeping (I come from a family of beekeepers). Although everyone in El Portal is kind and good-hearted, the atmosphere there is so transient that long-term people tend to be a bit hard to get to know, just because they expect you to move out of the community so quickly. Jeff was certainly not like that. I got the impression, immediately, that he never met a stranger. Everyone he met, he showed love and respect to.

Throughout the eight months I was there, I went to barbecues, dance parties, park events, taco nights, and division meetings with Jeff, and always, ALWAYS tried to strike up a conversation with him. He was really fun and easy to talk to, and just so warm and kind. And funny! And, as a sidenote, I distinctly remember him taking excellent care of his crew members when it came to housing and NPS bureaucracy, which is pretty much the best thing in the world if it's something you're new to.

My dad actually got diagnosed with terminal cancer when I was in Yosemite, which is why I had to leave early. It was, as you'd expect, awful on a lot of levels. I didn't tell very many people until I was leaving, and though most of them had kind words, I remember a conversation or two with Jeff about it in which he really made me feel like life would go on and be all right. My last night, I ran into him while bouldering in Tuolumne Meadows. I've never cared much for bouldering, and was only there because it was the only option I really had at the time, but we had a blast! I remember thinking I was so lucky to see him one more time before I drove back home. He gave me such a big, wonderful hug.

I can't imagine what you're going through. To lose someone who was so full of life so suddenly is terrible. At the same time, look for the signs. He will make sure you see him. I got the impression he wanted to stay in the Sierra for a few karmic cycles, and it seems really possible that before he starts a new one, he's going to fly as free as he can through the mountains, spreading love everywhere he goes.

Much much love,
A friend

No comments:

Post a Comment