Thursday, September 10, 2009

In remembrance of Jeff Maurer

Jeff Maurer was one of my first teachers at UC Davis and I can think of no better professor to experience as an incoming freshman. He taught my intro to Avian Sciences class. His class was by far my favorite class my first quarter at Davis. He sparked an enthusiasm in me that no other teacher could. His talks were fascinating and he was so knowledgeable. After that first quarter, I knew I had made the right choice of majoring in Avian Sciences. Later in my educational career at Davis, I had the opportunity to take another class with Jeff and I made sure it worked with my schedule. Although I only took two classes from him, Jeff was by far my favorite teacher at Davis. His passion for his work was second to none and he was a fantastic lecturer. I wish I had the opportunity to have a more personal relationship with Jeff. I'll always remember his smile. Thank you Jeff for solidifying my passion in birds. You're one in a million.

-Jon Vento
UC Davis Alumnus '09
B.S. Avian Sciences

1 comment:

  1. I understand how you feel about Jeff as a teacher. He was my WLD 111 lab TA at Davis in 2001 and I just loved that time with him each week. In reflecting on when I first became friends with Jeff, it was hard to remember. It seemed like we were always friends--running into each other birding at Stebbins, around the Domes, in town, at parties, he was always so familiar and kind. Reading everyone's heartfelt memories of him is truly inspiring. I miss Jeff and his presence, but I'll love birds for a lifetime and I know he bestowed this gift upon many people.

    Betsy Faber
    Arcata, CA

    ReplyDelete