Tuesday, September 8, 2009

From Denise on 9/8/09

I worked as one of Jeff's crew members last summer. I have some photos that I would love to post. At this time I am sort of speechless, but I know that the things that Jeff taught me about the Sierras will have a lasting effect on me everyday. I used to call him Chief Maurer or the Pika Whisperer. Once when we were doing amphibian surveys, I watched him call to and lure a pika out from behind rocks in a talus field. It called back. Then he turned around, smiled, and just shrugged his shoulders like it was just another casual moment in his life. He was truly connected to the land and to the animals, and I know that the Sierras won't be the same without him around to care for, love, learn and teach about them.
I wish his family and friends all the best. 
Sincerely,
Denise DeCarion

 

No comments:

Post a Comment