Friday, September 18, 2009

Memories, memories

It will take some time to accept that Jeff is gone, but these are some precious memories I will hang on to. When I first met him (at a Mono basin Chautauqua), I remember telling him it was like finding an old friend that I'd had all along but didn't know yet. Kinda strange, but we had all these common connections, mutual friends, and experiences, they just hadn't been shared together. In the winter of 2004-05 Jeff came over to live in Lee Vining at the old house of Dave and Sally Gaines, when the Mono Lake Comm was first getting started. Many old memories there too. I came over for dinner and played guitar with Jeff (and Sacha there too), sang some great songs. The keepsake I now have is a song I once knew but had forgotten that he scribbled out with some lyrics on the back of an envelope. Another time he came down and some of us went out to the hot springs in the snow, ended up having an epic snowball fight, laughing with each strike, that went on until our hands hurt from the cold. Later that spring, Jeff came out with us on a trip to the Amargosa River, camping in the desert, and exploring the strange river canyon that flows into Death Valley. It wasn't enough, and I am sad that there were not more of those times of friendship and fun, but happy that I got to know the old friend that I almost missed having. What a good man.

Peace to your soul,

Dave Herbst.

No comments:

Post a Comment