Thursday, September 3, 2009

From Mark 9/1/09

Thank you everyone for the stories. It has helped me immensely. Thank you to Pete and Marisa for organizing this email thread and any future blog - I think the idea of posting all these memories for others is a good one.

I met Jeff soon after I moved to Davis in fall of 2000. It was a "Bioregional club" meeting at Sarah Wiederkehr's house (do you remember this Sarah?) - If I remember correctly it was an inaugural meeting organized by Sarah Kalmanovitz. and Talia H-D. Jeff was there and offered to lead a biking and birding field trip out to the Davis ponds. I didn't know many people in Davis at the time and I remember liking Jeff right away because he reminded me of so many of my crazy birder friends from Santa Cruz.

I feel obliged to note his soccer skills as well. I always enjoyed playing soccer with Jeff, one because he really was a skilled player and could set up and finish off great plays, but equally because I felt like he was always just having a great time. He would also run the pants off us younger chickens.

Of course I was most inspired by his love of the Sierra. I loved seeing him over the course of the past few years and hearing about the great work he was doing and having him ask me about what I was up to with my work. He was great that way, always so genuinely interested in his friends' endeavors.

Jeff was a great man and I will miss him so much.

Mark Bibbo

No comments:

Post a Comment