Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jeff Memories

Jeff…


Words are limiting at times like these. Seeing him here in pictures has sparked some. I knew Jeff for a long while on the periphery. We worked and socialized in the same circles. I came to Yosemite in 1999 and it seems like Jeff has always been there. I began hearing about him from mutual friends; friends who had crushes on him, others who admired his recycled life style. He was always revered as someone to go to with questions about birds. Slowly our circles became smaller. Our connection ultimately, birds. I consider him a mentor and friend. I am lucky enough to have been one who received a “Let’s go birding” from Jeff. We spent time at White Wolf bonding with the place. One favorite memory is when Jeff joined our staff campfire circle hangout when he was staying there for owl surveys. I said, “Jeff, I have to show you this feather I found.” I had spent much time wandering off the trails at White Wolf and one day followed a family of fledgling red-shouldered hawks through a wet stringer meadow. As I was watching my steps there right in front of me was a huge wing feather. I saved it for further reflection. Jeff for me was the kind of person I made efforts to glean knowledge from. One of those Yosemite icons I wanted to be around and share my giddiness for nature with. I brought him into my cabin and showed him the feather. He was satisfyingly excited and passionate. “Where did you get this?!” As he examined it he declared it a Great Grey Owl Feather. And then in his brilliant way he declared it a female Great Grey Owl Feather. I was struck with disbelief that he is so capable of knowing that, and soon moved to realizing that he has a magic few fully express.


This past week I have been recalling some memorable moments with Jeff from the Strawberry Music Festival, the Mono Lake Chautauqua and Yosemite. Too many to mention here. I have hugged my friends more. His passing is a sad reminder that life is so very ephemeral. My thoughts and hugs go out to his closest friends and family. Whenever I hang out in Upper Horse Meadow (which I do a lot thanks to Jeff), go birding, see an old blue Subaru or spend time with our mutual friends his spirit will be there. Yosemite and the Sierra has lost a unique and necessary advocate. His magic will be missed. When there is a memorial, I will be wearing a plaid button down shirt in his honor.


Kestrel

No comments:

Post a Comment