Saturday, September 5, 2009

From Steve Thompson 9/4/09

Thank you to all of Jeff’s Davis friends who have shared their touching memories of him, and have established this blog in his large memory.

I was Jeff’s “supervisor” as a biologist for Yosemite National Park. I put supervisor in quotes, because Jeff was so committed to the wildlife of Yosemite, that I had a hard time keeping up with him, and he needed very little oversight in completing the task of restoration of habitat for Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frogs; our most important project. I find it awkward identifying myself as Jeff’s supervisor, because our friendship stretches back over 20 years, to when I began working at Yosemite. He was heading up the monitoring of Peregrine Falcons in the park, and I had the pleasure of spending summer days lounging in Yosemite Valley meadows with Jeff, watching the falcon ayries while musing on life. His seeming supernatural vision at spotting the falcons, and other birds is legendary, and I’m glad other people have witnessed it. When I got funding for Northern Goshawk work, there was no question who could do the work. His thesis is the document that guides our protection of the species in Yosemite.

Among my many memories of Jeff is one from a couple of years ago, when we traveled to Davis to meet other biologists about Great Gray Owl research. He proudly gave us a tour of “the farm,” and it was clear he treasured the memories of his time in Davis. Through this blog, I savored getting to know the many people who’s lives he touched.

I could go on for many pages about Jeff’s many contributions to Yosemite, and his large spirit, but my fondest impressions of him is of how lightly he lived on this earth, and how different a world it would be if we could all follow his example. Whether it was his small wardrobe of clothes that her wore until they almost fell off of him, the ancient Subaru, that must be approaching 500,000 miles, or his project to rehabilitate bicycles back into useful lives.

Yesterday, I met with Jeff’s brother and sister in his office, next door to mine. It was a time of mixed laughter and tears, as we sat amidst his books and equipment. His passing has left a huge hole in Yosemite. His field crews came in to regroup, but are setting out again on Monday, in recognition that their project to restore Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frogs is a big part of Jeff’s legacy. They had many hilarious stories to share about Jeff in the field, because in the mountains, he was in his element, and the bureaucracy was left in his office. Jeff’s relatives have indicated that they plan a celebration of his life in El Portal, where he was well known and loved by many. When I know of the date and place, I will notify his Davis fan club.

Now, almost a week after Jeff’s death, I’m still numb. He was so full of life, energy, humor, and love of this planet and its people, it is hard to imagine he is gone. For you who hike the Sierra, however, you will see him in the Goshawk streaking through the forest, the Peregrine swooping along Yosemite Valley’s cliffs, and the yellow-legged frog plopping into the clear, cold water, and swimming strongly away. I look forward to meeting Jeff’s Davis family.

Steve Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment